Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Mod6: RSS... Reading @ Super Speeds

When I cam across this blog post, I thought to myself "wow, this would have been very useful for my other grad class", and just as I finished thinking about how helpful it would be, I also realized that using this web site, and others like it would have lowered my grade.  Why? Well, the teacher was not as forward thinking as those tech savvy teachers we have been encountering during our blog searches and the teacher wanted everything on paper.  This assignment was stressful and boring, both for us creating it, and most likely for the teacher grading it.

The unit our group was creating was based on habitats which is exactly what this post is about.  Entitled, "Draw that Habitat", the admin of this blog did a fantastic job of explaining how teachers can use this tool, and also how to change its usage based on how many computers you have available, etc.  Check out this post here.  Like I said in my comment, I like that this tool incorporates a familiar character which most young students would have watched on their own TV during recreational times.  Incorporating a fun recreational character into the classroom and learning environment may led to a more enjoyable and meaningful learning experience for the student.  

As I continued reading ilearn technology I also realized that  this blog is great to have in my RSS.  This blog is a great idea generator for topics in the classroom.  ilearn technology basically spells it all out, which is a huge time saver, and its all on the web, which makes it fun for both teachers and students.  

I know RSS doesn't stand for Reading @ Super Speeds, but after learning more about why and how to use it, I think it is a proper re-name.  I am very excited about using my RSS feed to stay more informed on a very general level; news, technology, teaching, travel blogs and more.  But I like that I can read my RSS on a broad level, or only specific blogs.  The versatility of this tool is exciting and I think will help me as en educator stay educated and up to date.  


1 comment:

Maryanne said...

It's exciting when a post really hits on something that you need or can see you will use in the future. In this case, you also added to your RSS feeds. Love the title of Reading @Super Speeds!